The Orchard
The Orchard

1909 | The Orchard, Willifield Way Sybella Gurney performing the opening ceremony, accompanied by, among others, Henrietta Barnett, Frederick Litchfield, Mrs Harris Brown and Henry Vivian. The Orchard was demolished and rebuilt in 1972.

The Institute
The Institute

1930 | The Institute, Central Square More information coming soon...

The Suburb Milkman
The Suburb Milkman

1912 | The Suburb Milkman More information coming soon...

The Institute
The Institute

1924 | The Institute, Central Square More information coming soon

The Barnett Homstead
The Barnett Homstead

1918 | Barnett Homstead, Erskine Hill The Queen, The Prince of Wales, Princess Mary, Earl of Lytton, Dame Henrietta Barnett and others, visiting The Barnett Homestead in February 1918.

The Orchard
The Orchard

1911 | The Orchard, Willifield Way King George V and Queen Mary, accompanied by Henry Vivian. The Orchard was demolished and rebuilt in 1972.

The Tea House
The Tea House

19?? | The Tea House, Northway The Tea House provided teas for tennis players and visitors from the UK and overseas. Later it was part of the Institute, before being sold to a private developer in 2010.

Skipping on Willifield Way
Skipping on Willifield Way

19?? | Willifield Way Children skipping in Willifield Way.

Wellgarth Nursery Training School
Wellgarth Nursery Training School

1915 | Wellgarth Road Children playing in The Wellgarth Nursery Training School playground.

Henrietta Barnett at the BBC studio
Henrietta Barnett at the BBC studio

1925 | BBC Studios, Savoy Hill Henrietta Barnett at the BBC studio, Savoy Hill, for a broadcast discussion with Sir Oliver Lodge.

The Club House
The Club House

19?? | The Club House, Willifield Green The Club House, Willifield Green – The social centre of the Suburb, it had a restaurant, meeting rooms, library and billiard room. Destroyed by a landmine in 1940.

Henrietta Barnett's Writing room
Henrietta Barnett's Writing room

19?? | Writing room Henrietta Barnett writing in her workroom. A Vermeer painting given to her by Queen Mary hangs over her desk.

The Free Church
The Free Church

1911 | The Free Church, Central Square Henrietta Barnett laying a foundation stone.

Suburb Gardens
Suburb Gardens

19?? | Asmuns Place Gardens in Asmuns Place.

Opening the Queen Mary Hall
Opening the Queen Mary Hall

1924 | The Institute, Central Square Queen Mary and Henrietta Barnett, after opening the Queen Mary Hall at the Institute in 1924.

Extension to the Institute
Extension to the Institute

Lutyen’s proposed extensions to the Institute, which were never built.

Opening of the first room Institute
Opening of the first room Institute

1909 | The Institute, Central Square The opening of the first room at the Institute in March 1909. Henrietta Barnett (centre) is flanked by Frederick Lichfield and Henry Vivian.

The Tenants' Sports Day
The Tenants' Sports Day

19?? | Heath Extension The tenants’ sports day – egg and spoon race.

The Tenants’ Sports Day
The Tenants’ Sports Day

19?? | Heath Extension The tenants’ sports day – wheelbarrow race.

1911 Event Collage
1911 Event Collage

Collage of photographs covering the Suburb events of 1911.

The Field Fountain
The Field Fountain

1912 | Heath Extension The Field Fountain - Erected in her father’s memory by Emily Field. Jack Whitehead and Marjorie Clift of Willifield Way are taking a drink.

The Little Wood Outdoor Theatre
The Little Wood Outdoor Theatre

1931 | Little Wood Theatre, Denman Drive North and Addison Way The Duchess of York (later the Queen Mother) with Henrietta Barnett watching the Play and Pageant Union’s production of Adam Bell in Little Wood in 1931. Actor John Garside is on the right.

Ebenezer Howard
Ebenezer Howard

Ebenezer Howard, founder of the garden city movement.

Maurice Codner
Maurice Codner

Maurice Codner, famous portrait painter and resident of Temple Fortune Hill.

The Free Church Scout Troop
The Free Church Scout Troop

19?? | The Free Church, Central Square The Free Church Scout Troop. St Jude’s also had a large troop. There were also cubs, brownies and guides.

The Procession of Queen Mary
The Procession of Queen Mary

1924 | Central Square Queen Mary opened the Queen Mary Hall at the Institute in 1924. She was greeted by guides, scouts, school children and a military band.

The Ladies of Waterlow Court
The Ladies of Waterlow Court

19?? | Waterlow Court, Heath Close The ladies of Waterlow Court with visitors from Canning Town.

Gardening behind the Club House
Gardening behind the Club House

19?? | Addison Way Children gardening behind the Club House, between Addison Way and Wordsworth Walk. There were prizes for the best gardens.

Suburb Plans (Left side)
Suburb Plans (Left side)

LEFT SIDE Part of Raymond Unwin’s plan for the Suburb, on which Henrietta Barnett has written her directions for the siting of her many community projects.

Suburb Plans (Right side)
Suburb Plans (Right side)

RIGHT SIDE Part of Raymond Unwin’s plan for the Suburb, on which Henrietta Barnett has written her directions for the siting of her many community projects.

Oxbridge men of Toynbee Hall
Oxbridge men of Toynbee Hall

19?? | Toynbee Hall, Whitechapel Henrietta and Samuel Barnett with the young Oxbridge men who lived at Toynbee Hall in Whitechapel.

Co-partnership Cottage
Co-partnership Cottage

19?? | Asmuns Place A group of children outside a co-partnership cottage in Asmuns Place, watching Henrietta Barnett go by in a Rolls Royce.

Prime Minister Asquith presenting...
Prime Minister Asquith presenting...

19?? | ? Prime Minister Asquith presenting Henrietta and Samuel Barnett with their portrait, painted by Sir Hubert von Herkomer.

Toynbee Hall
Toynbee Hall

19?? | Toynbee Hall, Whitechapel Toynbee Hall, Whitechapel, which provided rooms and communal areas for men carrying out social work in the East End of London.

A resident of Waterlow Court
A resident of Waterlow Court

19?? | Waterlow Court, Heath Close A resident of Waterlow Court, which provided accommodation for spinster ladies.

Cutting the first sod of the Suburb
Cutting the first sod of the Suburb

1907 | The Suburb Henrietta Barnett cutting the first sod of the Suburb on 2 May 1907, watched by Sir John Brunner, Frederick Litchfield and Henry Vivian.

Henrietta and Samuel Barnett
Henrietta and Samuel Barnett

Henrietta and Samuel Barnett, when Toynbee Hall was founded in 1883. They both look exhausted from 10 years hard work in Whitechapel.

Henrietta’s Letter to the Trust
Henrietta’s Letter to the Trust

1909 | Letter Henrietta’s letter offering tenants an apple tree, some ivy and a clematis. Some of the apple trees still survive today.

The Barnetts’ memorial
The Barnetts’ memorial

Westminster Abbey The Barnetts’ memorial in Westminster Abbey, sculpted by Sir George Frampton. Henrietta arranged to have her own name added when she died.

St Judes Whitechapel Parish Workers
St Judes Whitechapel Parish Workers

19?? | St Judes Whitechapel Henrietta and Samuel Barnett with parish workers at St Jude’s Whitechapel.

Lutyen’s sketch of The Memorial
Lutyen’s sketch of The Memorial

The Memorial, Central Square Lutyen’s sketch of Henrietta Barnett’s memorial in Central Square.

Architect Raymond Unwin
Architect Raymond Unwin

Architect Raymond Unwin was 39 when he made the plan for the Suburb. He moved from Letchworth to live at the Wyldes, where he had his studio.

Women potters digging clay
Women potters digging clay

19?? | Heath Extension Women potters digging clay. There were pottery classes at the Institute and kilns in many houses.

The Reverend Basil Bourchier
The Reverend Basil Bourchier

The Reverend Basil Bourchier, who came to the Suburb in 1909 and held services at the Institute until St Jude’s was consecrated in 1911.

The Children’s Playhouse
The Children’s Playhouse

19?? | Asmuns Place The Children’s playhouse in Asmuns Place.

St Jude’s Vicarage Drawing Room
St Jude’s Vicarage Drawing Room

19?? | St Jude’s Vicarage, Whitechapel The drawing room at St Jude’s Vicarage, Whitechapel. Where rich and poor were invited to take tea and converse. St Judes Whitechapel was the inspiration for St Judes Hampstead Garden Suburb.

Bourchier and Barnetts
Bourchier and Barnetts

1921 | St Judes church, Central Square Henrietta and Samuel Barnett with the Reverend Basil Bourchier.

Construction of the Free Church
Construction of the Free Church

19?? | The Free Church, Central Square. Picture taken from Eskirne Hill. Construction of the Free Church and houses on Eskirne Hill. Notice the policeman.

Princess Margaret The Institute
Princess Margaret The Institute

1957 | The Institute, Central Square Princess Margaret outside The Institute and Henrietta Barnett School.

Temple Fortune in the early days
Temple Fortune in the early days

19?? | Temple Fortune Parade Temple Fortune in the early days.

The Early Hop on Bus
The Early Hop on Bus

19?? | Meadway The Early Hopper Bus Pulling up on Meadway. © TfL from the London Transport Museum collection. www.ltmuseum.co.uk