1890s 

1896
 
Henrietta Barnett (HB) hears of plans to extend the Charing X, Euston and Hampstead Railway

 

 

1900s 

1902⇣

 

  • Proposal to extend rail line to Golders Green 

  • HB starts process to purchase 80 acres of land to save what was to become the Heath Extension. Told to approach Eton College to negotiate an option for purchase. She is ‘only a woman’ and is advised to get male backing

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

1903⇣

 

HB forms the Hampstead Heath Extension Council

 

 

1904⇣ 

 

Garden Suburb Trust formed

 

 

 

 

1905⇣

 

HB asks Parker and Unwin to design the Suburb

 

 

1907⇣  
 
  • Purchase of the 80 acres is confirmed
  • HB cuts the first sod for two houses in Hampstead Way
  • Underground is extended to Golders Green
  • Raymond Unwin designs first plans and layout
  • First houses completed, and opened by the Lord Mayor of London

 

 
1908⇣
 
  • Design is drawn up for the Institute Hall
  • Sir Edwin Lutyens designs Central Square
 
1909⇣   
 
  • Institute Hall opened
  • Waterlow Court, designed by Baillie Scott, is opened by Princess Louise Duchess of Argyle 
  • The Club House is opened on Willifield Green
  • Foundations for St Jude’s Church are dug. Architect Edwin Lutyens. (Twenty-two members of royalty signed the visitors book between 1909 and 1951)
 

1910

Suburb plans, left side
Suburb plans, right side
1910⇣
 
  • Great Wall is started on the edge of Heath Extension – designer Charles Pageant
  • Wade Club House is opened by Duke and Duchess of Connault (Prince Arthur)
1912
 
  • St Jude’s Church is consecrated
  • Henrietta Barnett School is opened
 
1916⇣
 
The Club House is used as a military hospital
 
 
 
1911⇣
 
  • Queen Mary and George V make an unofficial visit to the Orchard
  • Duke and Duchess of Connault pay a return visit
  • Foundation stone of the Free Church is laid
  • Institute Hall extended over two floors
  • Residents Association is formed
 
 
1913⇣ 
 
  • Friends Meeting House is opened (designed by Frederick Rowntree)
  • Samuel Barnett dies
  • Raymond Unwin leaves the Suburb
  • Childs Way Elementary School is opened
 
 
1918⇣
 
  • ‘Working Class’ flats in Addison Way are visited by Queen Mary, the Prince of Wales, and Princess Mary.
  • Queen Mary also visits the Orchard
 
 
The Hampstead Garden Suburb Residents Association
The Ladies of Waterlow Court

1920s 

1924⇣
 
Queen Mary opens the Queen Mary block of ‘The Barnett School’ on the Institute site
1928⇣
 
  • Suburb’s 21st Anniversary
  • Falloden Way is widened
 

1930s 

1930⇣
 
Crewe Hall (the central section of the building seen today) is completed and opened on the Institute site
 
1936⇣
 
  • Norrice Lee Synagogue opened
  • Death of Henrietta Barnett
1931⇣
 
Duchess of York (the late Queen Mother) visits Play and Pageant Union’s performance of Adam Bell in Little Wood
 
1939⇣  
 
East Finchley Underground Station, designed by Charles Holden, is opened on site of Finchley East End mainline station

1940s 

1940⇣
 
  • Suburb is bombed, significant destruction
  • Club House is bombed.  George VI and Queen Elizabeth visited its crumbling remains
 

1950s 

1957⇣
 
  • Suburb’s 50th Anniversary 
  • Princess Margaret unveils a plaque on the Institute building, then tours the Suburb,
she also digs the first sod for the foundations of Fellowship House
 
1952⇣  
 
Brookland School opened
 
 

1960s 

1967⇣
 
Suburb’s Diamond Jubilee
 
  • 1960⇣   
  • Sale of the Suburb – Clore acquires Suburb leaseholds (previously Copartnership tenants)
  • Fellowship House is opened

 

1968⇣   
 
New HGS Trust is set up

1970s 

1972
 
The Orchard is rebuilt by Michael Darke
 
 
1974⇣
 
  • Dial a Ride bus service is started (H2 bus route of today) 
  • Odeon cinema in Temple Fortune is closed
 
 
1979⇣
 
The Queen Mother visits gardens in Asmuns Hill and Westholm
1973⇣   
 
Protests against traffic proposals for Falloden Way
 
1977⇣  
 
Suburb celebrates the Queen’s Silver Jubilee

1980s 

1982⇣
 
Suburb celebrates its 75th anniversary
1980⇣    
 
The Archives Trust is set up
1983⇣  
 
The Suburb News is started by Richard Wakefield
 

1990s 

1992⇣
 
The Suburb Proms in St Jude’s take place for the first time
 
 
1995⇣
 
London Borough of Barnet serves a Compulsory Purchase Order (CPO) on the Institute
1997⇣
 
  • Secretary of State for Education and Employment, David Blunkett, announces he is minded to approve the CPO on the Institute, despite the inspector’s recommendations
  • Duke of Gloucester plants a tree for the re-opening of Little Wood Theatre
 
1993⇣   
 
Institute issues HB School with a notice to quit. Long drawn-out legal dispute begins
1996⇣ 
 
A government inspector recommends that the CPO on the Institute should not be allowed
 
 

2000s 

2004⇣
 
LB Barnet approves the construction of a new Institute building on the site of the former neurological hospital in East Finchley
 
2000⇣   
 
Duke of Gloucester visits Little Wood Theatre to watch a performance of Bernard Shaw’s In Good King Charles’s Golden Days, and a pageant, The Stars, previously performed in 1933
 

2010s 

2011⇣
 
Controversial new wings at Henrietta Barnett School are opened on Southway and Northway (architects Hopkins and Partners) 

 

2007⇣   
 
Suburb Centenary celebrations take place. The Lord Mayor visits the first houses in Hampstead Way. Celebrations are held on Willifield Green. A Centenary Flowerbed is opened by TV personality and local resident, Jonathan Ross
2005⇣   
 
Introduction of the first Controlled Parking Zone (CPZ)
2006⇣
 
The Institute moves from the Suburb to East Finchley. HB School takes over the Central Square site